2018-03-23

Parker J. Palmer - Posts



Parker J. Palmer - Posts

Parker J. Palmer
17 March at 20:30 ·


On Wednesday, I posted a photo of Moon Jae-in, South Korea’s reformist president, who’d been reading the Korean translation of my book, "Healing the Heart of Democracy" (HHD). Since then, I’ve been overwhelmed by the many responses from my/our Korean friends, who care deeply about democracy, just as many of us in the U.S. do.

I want to celebrate this lovely example of international friendship and shared values at a time when many in my country are grieving the hostility of the present administration to all that is not "American" and not white. I want to reassure our Korean friends that in this and many other respects, this administration does NOT represent the majority of the American people.

Apparently, my Wednesday post went viral in Korea after a major news outlet picked it up. This according to the gifted man who translated HHD into Korean—who generously adopted the nickname Aloha for the sake of language-deprived Americans like me. Aloha wrote:

"Your posting about President Moon was put in a Korean newspaper and now it [has gone] viral online. As your book ‘Courage to Teach’ led to Circles of Trust [for teachers] in Korea, I believe that ‘Healing the Heart of Democracy’ is playing a critical role to democracy in Korea. It’s really rewarding to me as the translator of the book. Once again, thank you for sharing your amazing thoughts. I’ll work on translating [your new book] ‘On the Brink of Everything’ soon. I’m excited to see what miracles this book will bring to Korea. —Aloha"

The newspaper story Aloha refers to is at http://tinyurl.com/ycj9sdas, with yet another picture of President Moon with HHD (see below).

Aloha is part of a group of teachers who—led by my Korean friend Siot—have created a Korean version of Courage to Teach (CTT) retreats. They were mentored by Terry Chadsey, Marcy Jackson, and others from the Center for Courage & Renewal, including me. They're doing great things for Korean school teachers whose work is very challenging, just as it is for teachers in the U.S.

These people are light-carriers and hope-bearers—for Korea and for the world. We Americans have a lot to learn from them, including things we must remember when WE elect a new president.

More about the Korean CTT program at http://tinyurl.com/y9y9dfw8 (in English), and at http://tinyurl.com/ya2ea25c (in Korean). They call their program “Gardening People’s Hearts," a name I love! Greetings and gratitude to all you dear friends in Korea! Please visit us again!




LikeShow More ReactionsCommentShare
Top comments
1.7KLotus Sabre and 1.7K others
286 shares
60 comments
Comments

Write a comment...


Carmen Garcia de Andrés It is great to see how much impact may an editor’s decision have!! Hope it will happen the same some day in Spanish speaking countries !! Thank you for your work Parker !
2Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Parker J. Palmer Thank you so much, Carmen. I am delighted to tell you that three of my books are now available in Spanish translation: "Let Your Life Speak," "The Courage to Teach," and "A Hidden Wholeness." For more info, please see http://tinyurl.com/ybbdnhft, the website of Editorial Sirio. Thank you for hoping—this is something I've long hoped for, too!Manage



DEJA QUE TU VIDA HABLE
EDITORIALSIRIO.COM

3


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

View more replies

Melissa C Williams There are so many good and honorable people in the world, and it would be well for all of us to remember that, and to try again and again to re-focus our own lives and intentions on the GOOD instead of on the nonsense which is currently overwhelming our country. We can stand fast, along with Mr Palmer and President Moon....and be "light carriers" here in the US.
29Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

2 Replies


Emily Jane Style here's to light-carriers and hope-bearers everywhere - nurtured by your work, Parker J. Palmer. onward with more Gardening of People's Hearts!
31Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

리마이러 Beyond the nations, beyond the religions, and human race, we, people have been always one. We are connected each other with pure humanity. I see that truth again, thanks to you.
19Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Jonghun Kim Thanks for your posting and your hearts going on my country. I just want to say that im teaching two undergrad classes with your book CTT this semester. Hoping more young adults and pre-teachers read your works here in Korea.
11Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d · Edited

Carroll Ann Swanson Holding you, Aloha, President Moon and us all in the Light as we each do what we can to bring peace and right thinking to our troubled world.
8Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Susan Chast You truly embrace the role of ambassador in sharing this love! 💗 I am lucky to be part of Valerie's Journey to Wholeness this year at Pendle Hill--and it is changing me, in subtle and gracious ways. Thank you for letting us know about the work in South Korea.Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

정준우 Wow... Hi? This is Erick from S. Korea. Yes, the country of Moon’s administration.
Actually, a few days ago I read an article about this picture and your story, which was quite impressive for me. And I found myself one of your book readers when I was o...See moreManage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 4d · Edited

Bonnie Antonich Thnx for sharing such a heartwarming story in our tumultuous days. I love it!! Gardening of people’s hearts indeed!!!
5Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Grayson Van Camp I can’t tell you how delighted I am to read this post! My first call was to a Korean American congregation. The passion for Christ and the willingness to learn and serve that I experienced there - from young children to the elders - changed me forever. I pray God’s blessing on Moon Jae-in, his people and on your wonderful, world wide ministry.
1Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Betty Brown Thank you for inspiring leaders and all people. I have been inspired by your writings for 20 years. This news gives me hope as our democracy in the US is being challenged.
1Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 4d

Ayn Maddox Thank you, Parker... only about 1/3 of the voters n this country are anti-immigrant/white but we don't seem to be given a great deal of "air time" lately and I'm glad you were, on our behalf.Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 3d

Meara Norice Thank for sharing this response from our global neighbors in Korea. Your actions inspire my spirit at age 78....yikes I still have heart & meaning in my life. Look forward to meeting you in person thru space & time.
1Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 4d

Susan Wall "light carriers", "hope bearers", "gardening people's hearts"; what beautiful metaphors. I will repeat them. Thank you.
2Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 4d

Jayne 'Dykema' Zurn I am a bearer of light and love, an encourager of the good right along with you. This will make a difference. We can change the world. Thank you, Parker.Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 4d

Judy Parker Cole CONGRATULATIONS! I'm thrilled to read this good news about your insightful thoughts and deep caring for a better world, Parker J. Palmer!Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Lyn Hopper Will be leading a discussion on your wonderful book soon at my UU church. So glad you are on this planet.Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 3d

Christy Hyde So grateful for this post and for all the loving people in our world <3
7Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Pamela Sheldon White I loved reading this amazing story about President Moon and learning about Parker Palmer. 💜
4Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Janice Mayfield Rorick Spent a year and a half working in Korea in the 70's. I came to admire my Korean staff and other Koreans that I met. Loved the country. So worried for South Korea during this time of tension with North Korea. Thank you for your work there..Manage


LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 5d

Jihun Kim Thank you. I am one korean who read your book and strruggle to live the democracy in my heart from my heart with my heart. Please keep writing and praying. I will do same work that you have done and will do in korea. Once again thanks.

No comments: