2016-03-24

UU vs. Quakers: What's the difference? - Mothering Forums

 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM

Adele_Mommy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am UU. There is a joke I've heard:

Unitarian Universalists are Quakers with Attention Deficit Disorder. 

I would agree that a big difference is the format of worship. Most UU's I know would not be happy with unprogrammed worship, at least not all the time.

My impression is that central to the Quaker faith is the belief that the divine is found inside every person. Historically, this meant "Jesus Christ is in all of us." but apparently now this belief does not have to be Christian-focused. I think some UUs may believe the divine can be found in each person, but not all of us, though it does fit well with the first UU principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person. However, I think this would be one of the biggest theological differences between the religions historically: Quakers affirmed the divinity of Christ whereas Unitarians did not. (You could say: Quakers were not accepted by most other Christians because they said all people were divine whereas Unitarians were not accepted because they said no one was. )

Quakers and UUs are very similar in the focus on what we do in this life, action, and social justice. Also, this website says Quaker is a non-creedal religion, as is UU. The belief in each individual having his/her own spiritual journey is also part of both religions.

Beyond format of worship, I think most of the differences are matters of commonality and emphasis. For example, I'm pretty sure most Quakers are true pacifists, whereas most UU's, though we work for peace, are not true pacifists. While both Quakers and and UUs mention respect and caring for the earth, I think more UUs are more nature-focused.

I've got to go - I'll come back to this thread later - it's very interesting!

No comments: