2019-08-28

fifty years of silence: cry of the raped

Edition-11-Ver-8-10-10l.pdf.aspx



Fifty Years of Silence: Cry of the Raped 
By Jan Ruff-O’Herne


Why did it take so long? 

Perhaps the answer is that these violations were carried out against women. We have all heard it said: this is what happens to women during war. Rape is part of war, as if war makes it right. It was February 1944. I had been interned in Ambarawa prison camp together with my mother and two young sisters for two years. One day I was returning to my barrack from one of my heavy camp duties when all single girls from seventeen years and up were ordered to line up in the compound. We did not like this command and immediately became suspicious. The Japanese guards then selected ten girls. I was one of the ten. Through our interpreter we were told to pack a small bag of belongings and report immediately to the front gate where the trucks were waiting to take us away. We had to say goodbye to our mothers and loved ones. My mother and I could not find words to speak. We looked into one another’s eyes and threw our arms around each other. There, in that moment, it seemed as if we both died in each other’s arms. By this time all the girls were crying, as we were forced into the trucks. We huddled together like frightened animals. We soon realised that we were travelling on the main road to Semarang. The truck stopped in front of a large house. Seven girls were told to get out. I was one of them. Nervously we kept together as we were ushered into the house by the Japanese officer who seemed to be in charge. 
--
The next day we were made to understand that we were here for the sexual pleasure of the Japanese. In other words, we found ourselves in a brothel. We were not allowed to leave, we were in this house for only one purpose: for the Japanese to have sex with us. We were enslaved into enforced prostitution. My whole body trembled with fear. My whole life was destroyed and collapsing from under my feet. We protested loudly that we would never allow this to happen to us, that it was against all human rights, that we would rather die than allow this to happen to us. The Japanese stood there laughing, saying that they were our captors and they could do with us as they liked, and, if we did not obey our families would suffer. When opening night arrived we were all terrified. We were all virgins and none of us knew anything about sex. As we sat there waiting, fear had completely overpowered our bodies. Even up to this day I shall never forget that fear. It was a fear I can’t possibly describe, a feeling I shall never forget and never lose. Even after more than fifty years I still experience this feeling of total fear going through my body and through all my limbs, burning me up. But worst of all, I felt this fear every time my husband was making love to me. I have never been able to enjoy intercourse as a consequence of what the Japanese did to me. 
--
The house was filling up with the Japanese. We sat waiting in fear, huddled together till the time had come and the worst was to happen. One by one, the girls were dragged into their bedrooms crying, protesting. I was eventually dragged by a large Japanese officer. I kicked him on the shins. He just stood there laughing. My fighting, kicking, crying and protesting made no difference. I screamed, ‘Don’t! Don’t!’ He pulled me up and dragged me into my bedroom, he closed the door and I ran into a corner of the room. I pleaded with him in a mixture of English and Indonesian and tried to make him understand that I was here against my will and that he had no right to do this to me. I curled myself up in the corner like a hunted animal that could not escape. ‘O God, help me.’ I prayed, ‘Please God, don’t let this happen to me’. 

The Japanese officer had paid a lot of money for opening night and he was obviously annoyed. Consequently he became very angry. I repeated again and again ‘don’t! don’t!’ He was of silence: getting impatient by now and threw me on the bed. He tore at my clothes and ripped them off. He threw himself on top of me, pinning me down under his heavy body. I tried to fight him off, I kicked him, I scratched him, but he was too strong. The tears were streaming down my face as he raped me. It seemed as if it would never stop. I can find no words to describe this most inhuman and brutal rape. To me it was worse than dying. My whole body was shaking when he eventually left the room. I gathered what was left of my clothing and ran off to the bathroom. I wanted to wash all the dirt, the shame and hurt off my body.

I never realised suffering could be so intense as this. And this was only the beginning. Always and every time the Japanese raped me I tried to fight them off. Never once did any Japanese rape me without a violent struggle and fight. Often they threatened to kill me, often they severely beat me. During the time in the brothel, the Japanese abused me and humiliated me. The Japanese had ruined my young life. They had taken everything away from me: my youth, my selfesteem, my dignity, my freedom, my possessions, my family. But there was one thing that they could never take away from me. It was my deep faith in God that helped me survive all that I suffered at the brutal, savage hands of the Japanese. 

When the war was over, the atrocities done to me would haunt me for the rest of my life. I could not talk about it to anyone, the shame was too great. After seeing the Korean ‘Comfort Women’ on TV, I decided to back them up in their plight for an apology and for justice and compensation. In December 1992, I broke my 50 years of silence at the international public hearing on Japanese war crimes held in Tokyo and revealed one of the worst human rights abuses to come out of World War II. It is by telling my story that I hope that these atrocities against women in war will never be forgotten and will never happen again.
---
IHL magazine 7 
https://www.redcross.org.au/getmedia/9455040f-bd32-43fa-a3b1-932f46a92976/Edition-11-Ver-8-10-10l.pdf.aspx

No comments: