2024-05-18

The Shadow World: Documentary 2024


The Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade

Best Documentary
4.83M subscribers
====

278,039 views  Mar 12, 2024


Based on the book The Shadow World, this feature length documentary reveals the shocking realities of the multi-billion dollar global arms trade, through whistleblowers, investigators, prosecutors, and military insiders.
Director: Johan Grimonprez
Transcript
Follow along using the transcript.


Show transcript


====
1:06
♪ so bring on the light fantastic ♪ I'll show you ♪ if you should ask it ♪ let's dance together till morning ♪
1:32
- Got a terrific view of the kick mist With the CDR now appearing from behind me.
1:39
- Still... We are at war. I'm responsible for the deployment of thousands
1:47
Of young Americans, to battle in a distant land. And some will kill.
1:53
And some will be killed. And so I come here with an acute sense
1:58
Of the costs of armed conflict. Filled with difficult questions about
2:04
The relationship between war and peace, And our effort to replace one with the other.
2:11
- Okay Crib we copy that. We've got TV pictures again.
2:16
- hefty, black control systems.
3:39
- They were five months into World War I, Both sides were in trenches. They were just mass slaughter across the landscape.
3:46
Men were standing up sleeping. They were in their own feces, and their Dead comrades were sitting there in no man's land.
3:53
They couldn't even get them and Bring them back for burial. It was christmas eve and the german high command
3:59
Had sent little christmas trees. It was like a stage set, all of a sudden Across the german front, you saw
4:05
These little Christmas trees lighting up, And then the allies heard silent night Being sung by the germans.
4:12
And they started applauding. And then all of a sudden a couple of guys
4:17
On both sides get out of the trenches And start walking toward each other. - And expecting any moment to fall flat
4:24
Through the machine guns opening up. And nothing happened.
4:29
And within two hours we were walking about, And laughing and talking and there Was nothing from the german lines.
4:36
- hundreds get out of the trenches. Then thousands get out of the trenches, And they embraced each other, 100,000 men.
4:44
- All no man's land as far as we could see. It was grey and cocky. The early were smoking and talking.
4:51
Shaking hands, exchanging names and Addresses for after the war, to write to one another.
5:12
- Everybody back in your trenches, you know. And shouting, the generals behind must have seen it,
5:18
And got a bit suspicious. So what they did, they gave orders For a battery of guns behind us to fire.
5:26
And officers fired their revolvers at the Gerry's, you know. Course that started the war again.
5:33
Woah we were crushing 'em to hell.
5:40
- this was a war to end all wars. This was the war to make the world safe for democracy.
5:50
At least 21,000 new millionaires were made in the U.S.
5:56
Billions and billions of dollars would be piled up by a few.
6:01
Munition makers, ship builders, meat packers.
6:07
And let us not forget the bankers, Who financed the great war, who turned blood into gold.
6:15
And their profits were as secret as they were immense. All of them are looking ahead to war.
6:33
- I stand before you tonight In my red star chiffon evening gown...
6:50
My face softly made up, and my fair hair gently waved.
6:59
The Iron Lady of the western world.
7:04
- The Al-Yamamah deal was this Extraordinary deal between the United Kingdom And Saudi Arabia, in which Ronald Regean wanted to
7:11
Sell the Saudis billions and billions Dollars worth of equipment.
7:17
But the Israeli lobby stopped it. And congress wouldn't approve it, Because they feared arming Saudi would threaten Israel.
7:24
So Ronald Reagan handed the deal over, effectively, To his political soul mate, Margaret Thatcher.
7:30
- You ain't seen nothing yet. - You are a very tough act to follow.
7:48
- When we stumbled on the Saudi arms deal, The Al-Yamamah arms deal, we really started
7:54
To stumble on a central feature of british politics, Over the last 30 years.
8:00
- His royal highness, Prince Bandar, Has been at the heart of many of the great world
8:05
Events of the past 30 years. I was always pleased to see him when I was prime minister,
8:12
Because he brought me extraordinary Insights and bold proposals.
8:23
- She informed us, she considered Saudi Arabia as a strong friend, and would Be willing to support the kingdom
8:28
With whatever the kingdom needs. End of discussion, from there on everything Else was technical.
8:34
- He explained to mrs. Thatcher that This was a deal with Saudi Arabia, And therefore things would end differently.
8:43
They wanted 43 billion pounds worth of weaponry. That was 6 billion pounds in commissions.
8:53
The vast majority, or what most people understand as bribes.
9:00
- We will continue to work together against the terrorists, Who threaten the way of life of our citizens.
9:10
Was a man called Eddy Cunningham, actually. He said, "I've been working for a travel company,
9:18
"and we had a kind of slush fund, we use "to distribute to Saudis and other arabs
9:23
"when they came to britain, for BAE, "all to help the path of arms deals along."
9:33
When Saudi military officers would come along, He would present them with canteens of cutlery,
9:40
That was something that they liked. Another thing they liked was girls, So he would take them out on the town,
9:46
And get them girls. - To be honest, it seemed like quite small beer.
9:52
Payments made, some of them for Rather un-islamic activities. Gaming chips, there were talks about call girls,
10:01
- There's only two things that count in business my friend. Money and sex.
10:06
The rest, you can write as much as you like, Is absolute garbage.
10:12
You can make a weapon beautiful, depends on your secretary.
10:18
Because, they are more distracted Looking at your secretary's ass Than thinking what the hell you're talking about.
10:25
And that is, sometimes, all the edge you need.
10:33
I had to use an escort agency called blue orchids, Because of the special taste of
10:39
The chief of staff of the army, Who liked blondes with silicone tits.
10:44
We had their secretary of the embassy Come and review the photos. And he said, "I want this one, I want this one,
10:50
"I want this one, I want this one." I had the girls I arrived with one day before. And I said, girls, I know you've all been paid
10:57
Handsomely for this but, do me a favor, If you get any pillow talk that is relevant Please bring it across because I could use it.
11:04
And for each, interesting information, I will give another 3,000 year bonus. So with 60 grand, I signed a contract worth three million.
11:12
So it wasn't bad deal. - And then my phone rang again, And it was another whistle blower and he said,
11:20
"you have no idea what it is that you're getting into here."
11:26
And he said, "this slush fund is much, much Our job was to look after the really high level people.
11:33
Those who used to come to England, Who were being bribed, essentially, by BAE, Were people of the level of the head of
11:39
The Saudi air force, who was a royal Prince. We would fly them to Los Angeles,
11:46
And they would buy cars and dresses, And it wasn't shopping like you and I would think.
11:51
In the end, when they gathered together all Their shopping, we would charter an entire jumbo jet
11:56
To fly it all back to Saudi Arabia. - It was an attempt to try and trace through
12:02
The bank accounts who the ultimate beneficiaries are That the case became really very serious,
12:09
As the trail appeared to lead towards Senior members of the Saudi royal family.
12:16
- The most outrageous example was that BAE, In order to smooth the way with Prince Bandar,
12:24
At one point made him a president of a huge Commercial airliner, all of his very own.
12:30
Which he promptly had painted in the grey And silver colors of the dallas cowboys, Who were his favorite American team.
12:37
And he used to fly around in that, quite cheerfully.
12:43
- The case centered on establishing the Ultimate beneficiaries of exceptionally
12:50
Large amounts of money paid by british aerospace For consultancy services.
13:00
- there's evidence that Mark Thatcher, Mrs. Thatcher's son, got 12 million in cash For his work as a fixer.
13:18
- This is a fire nine mill. It's okay, it's not loaded.
13:23
Don't worry. It's a very beautiful weapon, it's austrian made. If you want to sell on the Market,
13:29
And you're looking probably at about 3,500 euros. - and why do you keep it in the house?
13:34
- Because I'm a soldier. - and you can do that legally?
13:39
- Yes and no, but yeah, more or less you can. As long as it's in the house.
13:47
And you don't shoot the cat of the neighbor. I got nothing against money, I don't mind paying
13:52
Bribes to politicians, it's part of the deal. The thing about politicians is that
13:57
They're very much like prostitutes, But only more expensive.
14:03
The politics is dictated by the whims of the arms industry. Politicians are nothing more than sales reps my dear friend.
14:11
They have as much power as a middle Ranking executive in Lockheed Martin. At the end of the day they do what they're told.
14:24
- When an executive goes to bribe A foreign official, he says to himself, Look I've taken a lot of risk to take this
14:31
Five million dollars, that I'm Paying to the prime minister of xyz. He makes an arrangement with prime minister of xyz.
14:40
I'll hand over the five million, But you take half of that five million, And you send it to the following
14:46
Bank account in Switzerland. We'll share in this largess.
14:52
The first time an executive does that, And he collects 2.5 million dollars,
14:57
He says, "wow, this is a good business to be in." And within moments of that realization,
15:03
He is now no longer in the business of selling airplanes, He's in the business of selling bribes.
15:09
And he's now scouring the world For somebody to find to bribe.
15:22
♪ regrets ♪ and I've had a few ♪ but then again
15:29
♪ too few to mention ♪ I did
15:34
♪ what I had to do ♪ and saw it through
15:41
♪ without exemption ♪ I planned
15:46
♪ each chartered course ♪ each careful step
15:52
♪ along the by-way ♪ and more
15:57
♪ much more than this ♪ I did it
16:03
♪ my way - And then the phone rang again.
16:08
And this was somebody who said, "you have "no idea what you're getting into." He said, "this whole BAE thing is much,
16:16
"much bigger, goes right to the very top." What he had was something that you Never see as a journalist.
16:23
Swiss bank records of international covert payments, Going all over the world.
16:29
He showed me how BAE had set up a whole system With lloyds bank, under which they channeled
16:34
Secret payments into the british Virgin Islands Offshore company called red diamond.
16:41
And from red diamond the money went into This guy's swiss bank account, and he Then used it to distribute to the local politicians,
16:49
Taking a big chunk for himself of course. - I mean I can certainly assure you, I mean that we, and I believe most companies
16:56
Are not in the business of making payments Passing, as you suggest, large sums of money
17:01
I mean it is just not the way me business is done.
17:09
- We were actually able to publish What was our most dangerous story, that Prince Bandar Had been given not just a plane,
17:16
But over the years, a total of one billion pounds. - We did not invent
17:23
Corruption. I mean Adam and Eve were in heaven, And they had hanky-panky and they had to Go down to earth, so...
17:29
And this is human nature. - I salute a Prince, a statesman,
17:35
And a friend. - What is greed?
17:41
Of course none of us are greedy, It's only the other fella who's greedy. This...
17:47
The world runs on individual's Pursuing their separate interests.
17:53
- All those people who believe that greed, Violence, et cetera, these primal, So called primal instincts, are the real instincts,
18:01
And everything else is a social construction, They've lost their mind. And for the last 50 years, at least,
18:08
Policy has been made based on the assumption of greed. And it's ruined the world. - Alright.
18:15
- Mr. Reagan, if you would. - Patronites believe there is no nature of society,
18:21
So we have to nurture individualism. I don't accept that at all. I think there are very many, good public
18:28
Policy initiatives for creating society. Welcome to beirut.
18:34
They are saying hello to you. There's a combination AK-47 Kalashnikov.
18:42
A society that decides that the bulk Of it's budget is going to go to arms manufacturing,
18:47
Building up a military, et cetera, They have made a moral decision. That militarism is more important
18:54
Than the creation of well-being for the population.
19:03
It's not the world I want to live in. I want to live in the real world. And the real world is people by real emotions.
19:09
Including love and generosity. - My god, if you want, is freedom.
19:14
The freedom of human beings, of individuals, To pursue their own values. - I think what the term freedom
19:20
Means is economic license. And it's the economic license of those Who control property, and those who control capital,
19:27
Has in fact been a threat, not only to equality, But a threat to the freedom of peoples
19:32
All over the world, and not only in Europe And the United States, but in Africa, In Asia, and in Latin America.
19:40
- I want you to name me any society In which you've had any large measure of that freedom. Where capitalism and free enterprise
19:45
Has not been the predominate mechanism. - The free enterprise system Has spread through the force of arms,
19:51
And those arms were wielded by governments. That was government intervention, Under the name of the free enterprise system,
19:57
But a government intervention which destroyed The freedoms of many people. Not least of which are the people of Chile.
20:22
- From the 1950's, all the way through the 1970's, The CIA and the U.S. Military were engaged
20:27
In covert actions throughout central and Latin America. Throughout Africa, really throughout the world.
20:33
Where they were assassinating populist leaders, They were backing up right-wing military juntas,
20:38
Funding and arming death squads, like the Contras in Nicaragua, or battalion 316 in Honduras.
20:45
And there were these spate of assassinations Across the globe.
20:52
- In countries like mine, people have Been killed to be quiet.
20:57
To know that any day, any time you're going to Be killed, you don't know how, but it's coming.
21:07
We were fighting an oligarch, and still We are fighting, you know, oligarchs.
21:12
Minds that don't want to work on inclusiveness, But just extraction.
21:18
It's not only about taking from the earth, But taking from the people.
21:24
Even your dreams get colonized. - The last half of what is called the cold war,
21:31
Turned out to be a very hot war for Many parts of the world.
21:37
From the standpoint of what Iqbal Lamet calls The victims of, what I will think of really as,
21:45
Of people trying to make their own futures. There was an attempt in the global south
21:52
To create an alternative imagination for people.
21:57
But in the early 1970's, this attempt was destroyed. And it was stopped through a real, genuine attempt,
22:05
By the global law to take over the Institutions of the world, including The world bank, the IMF.
22:12
So, it's not simply that the people Of the south were incapable of carrying Forward their dreams.
22:25
I use a very strong word. These dreams were assassinated.
22:30
It's not just the one off killings, The coup here, the coup there.
22:38
It's the entire dream that had to be killed.
24:15
- The joint hearings of the house select Committee to investigate covert arms Transaction with Iran.
24:25
And the select committee on secret military Assistance to Iran and the Nicaraguan opposition.
24:32
We will come to order. - Congress began to address what they perceived To be an insanely out of control series of covert
24:38
Actions with little to no congressional oversight. - We have been supplying lethal weapons
24:44
To terrorist nations, involving the U.S. Government In military activities in direct contravention of the law.
24:52
And lying to the congress. Now I believe that democracy cannot survive
24:58
That kind of abuse.
25:03
- And people like Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld, Who were relatively new to government at the time, Did not like when congress said we need
25:10
To step in and confront the national security state. And what's become a very out of control kill program.
25:17
Cheney then went on, during the Reagan years in the 80's To serve in congress, and when the Iran-contra
25:22
Scandal broke out into the open, Cheney did not like congress being involved
25:28
With anything that the executive branch was doing. And you had this utter scandal that
25:34
Emanated from the highest echelons of power. And the Reagan administration was acting
25:39
As though it had nothing to do with it. - I've told you all that I know. And you know, the truth of the matter is,
25:45
For quite some long time, all that you knew Is what I told you. - Did they deceive you?
25:50
You didn't answer whether they deceived you. Mr. President!
25:56
- Our witness this morning is mr. Robert Mcfarlane, The former national security advisor to the president.
26:04
Mr. Mcfarlane we welcome you to the Committee and we look forward to your testimony.
26:12
- Mr. Mcfarlane, did you have any Discussion about the possibility
26:20
Of, in effect, farming out the whole contra support Operations in Nicaragua to another country,
26:28
Which we'll call country one? - Yes that's correct. - And did you, in fact, succeed in obtaining
26:36
Money from another country, Which we'll call country two?
26:45
- That's correct. I had the practice of meeting periodically
26:51
With the official from country two, About assistance we could provide.
26:58
In some cases arm sales. And he intended to provide a contribution
27:05
Of a million dollars per month, to the contras, Through the end of the year.
27:12
- You have no problems working with the CIA? - We have no problem working with the United states government, and unless
27:17
The CIA does not work for the United States Government, then I think we have a bigger problem. - There have been occasions where some Americans
27:23
Have questioned that, as you know. - Well thank heavens those occasions Was not in connection with Saudi Arabia.
27:42
- I think that there was a substantial Shadow government, trying to run
27:48
Foreign affairs for the United States. - These events have been characterized By some pretty strong statements.
27:55
We've heard talk of a grave constitutional crISIS, And even been treated to talk about
28:00
A coup in the White House. - Not only does Cheney, sort of, defend Iran-contra, but he argues that Iran-contra
28:07
Is actually a model for how the U.S. Should be conducting it's national security policy.
28:13
He is a radical subscriber to this notion Of the unitary executive. Effectively what you're doing is saying
28:19
On certain parts of American policy We don't have a democracy, we have a dictatorship.
28:25
- As a matter of fact I was... Very definitely involved in the decisions About support to the freedom fighters.
28:33
My idea to begin with. - In my opinion there's no justification
28:38
For further restrictions on the power And flexibility of future presidents.
28:50
- The national security league today is mostly Composed of people who hit the revolving Door multiple times during their life.
28:57
- The nomination of Richard B. Cheney To be secretary of defense is confirmed. - they make a name for themselves in the private
29:03
Industry, and then they come into the government. This revolving door keeps the national security league
29:10
Very small, and very wealthy. And increasing it's wealth as it goes up the chain.
29:16
To the extent that then, when you get to the top As Cheney did, then you can become A member of the plutocracy, that runs the country too.
29:24
- This is an impressive crowd. The have's. And the have more's.
29:29
- Cheney commissioned a study, by Halliburton, To find out how much more of the defense department
29:36
Could be privatized. - Halliburton. Proud to serve our troops. - Halliburton was elated to get this million
29:43
Dollar contract, and of course returned A verdict that, "oh, mr. Secretary,
29:48
"lots more of it can be privatized."
29:56
- Dick Cheney leaves the defense department And goes and heads Halliburton himself. And he spends the entire 1990's, building
30:02
Up the Halliburton war empire. - Well, if we're gonna talk about star wars,
30:08
We might as well invite Darth Vader.
30:18
I'm happy to accept. - Then he comes back into power as vice president, And then they start hiring Halliburton to...
30:26
In advance even of U.S. Troops going in to Iraq, Halliburton personnel and equipment was Being deployed to the gulf.
30:32
It's hard to look at this and not say, These guys had a very long term plan For how they were going to increase
30:39
The powerful infrastructure of private companies.
30:45
What we've essentially done is to create A network of corporations that have the
30:51
Fire power of small nation-states. That could, you know, overthrow some
30:57
Small governments around the world. - In essence, we in the United States
31:03
Have privatized the ultimate public function, war.
31:18
- You know bombs have got a time limit, they're like food. You know munitions has got, you know, sell-by dates.
31:26
You gotta get rid of it.
31:47
In Iraq, the F-16s and F-18s were firing Six million dollars within seconds,
31:52
Coming back, re-arming and going up again.
32:08
- There's no hope of ending war, Because there's always a small cobble Of people for whom war is really, really good business.
32:18
It doesn't matter that we're losing the war in Afghanistan. Halliburton could care less.
32:23
It's good for them, good for profit.
33:16
Well we've undergone a corporate Coup d'état, in slow motion. To quote John Ralston saul.
33:23
35,000 lobbyists in Washington, they write The legislation, they write the bills.
33:29
- All it takes is one phone call, From somebody on the hill, to someone In the Pentagon, saying, "hey, turn on the dogs,
33:36
"the hill's out to get our program. "the guy's in the senate aren't on board, "we need you to turn on the Gucci shoe guys
33:42
"to straighten this thing out." The Gucci shoe guys being the lobbyists. And what this does is just lock the system up,
33:48
And that's the whole name of the game. It's called political engineering. And unlike political science, political engineering is real.
33:58
One of the most important things to understand, It essentially creates what we call A self-licking ice-cream cone.
34:07
And it's like a perpetual motion machine For getting ever increasing defense budgets.
34:12
The way we do it is by downplaying the Future consequences to start a new weapon.
34:17
We over promise it's performance, Under promise it's cost. We then, systematically spread dollars, jobs
34:25
And profits to as many congressional districts As quickly as possible, so that everybody Has skin in the game.
34:35
- The people who are invested in this stage, Are people like the largest defense contractor in the world.
34:40
Lockheed Martin. They will die before they see it go.
34:46
- And while we don't know what's Going to change the world next,
34:51
We're probably already working on it.
34:57
- Lockheed Martin basically gets in Like an octopus, and lifts it's tentacles, You know, in all branches of the government.
35:05
And then they hold them. And that's how they operate.
35:11
They make the mafia look like a bunch of schoolboys. - Fiscal year 1999, 2.3 trillion missing.
35:19
Fiscal year 2000, 1.1 trillion missing. The Pentagon has claimed, year after year,
35:25
That the reason it can't account for the money Is because it's computers don't communicate With each other.
35:31
- One trillion, one dollar bills, Stacked high would reach nearly 68,000 miles into space.
35:37
One third of the way to the moon. - I got a phone call from the fbi
35:44
Saying that I was a target of a death threat. And that's what happens when you go against
35:50
The big boys. Who has the contracts today, to make Those systems communicate with each other?
35:58
And how much have the tax payers paid for them? - There are times that corporations Do things they should not do, in which case
36:05
They tend to be suspended for some period. There are times then that corporations Can get out of the penalty box, if you will...
36:11
- This company was never in the penalty box. If you could proceed to my second question please.
36:17
- The second question...
36:25
I've forgotten what the second question was.
36:33
- Individuals operating in the shadows, And never having their names called,
36:38
Are able to leverage the power of the military And the foreign policy apparatus for
36:45
Their own personal pecuniary ends.
36:50
- What now? How do we justify all this tanks, All this planes, all this bullshit?
36:58
What better new enemy than an hypothetical Invisible enemy called the war on terror?
39:02
- I think at the most basic level, When we realize how we've entered into
39:08
A permanent state of war, like what Often proponents of
39:15
Counter-terrorism on a global scale, Think of as a long war, but a war Without end, something like that.
39:25
And I think that what we've accepted Is a political regime
39:32
That is sustained by fear. This is a very old... It's a very old political tactic.
39:38
I mean, Machiavelli asks in the Prince, "is it better for the Prince to be feared or loved?"
39:44
And his conclusion is, because the locus Of fear, the source of fear resides in him,
39:51
In the Prince, it can be constant for his rule. Whereas the locus of love, resides in the people.
39:58
It's in their power. And so for them could be constant, and long lasting.
40:04
So Machiavelli already opens a question that He probably doesn't provide us the answer with, What would it mean to have our social arrangement,
40:12
Like the basis of our social choices, Be founded on love?
40:21
- I don't think one has to justify the cost And nature of the national security state, One just has to keep the people fearful enough
40:28
To support it. - But what I want to bring to your attention today Is the potentially much more sinister nexus
40:35
Between Iraq and the Al-Qaeda terrorist network. - Every word in that speech was gone over by
40:42
The director of Central Intelligence, And his deputy director. So there's nothing that I made up.
40:49
There was nothing that I stuck in there. And in fact, some people tried to stick Extra things in there, that the intelligence
40:55
Community wouldn't verify with multi-sourcing. And I said no. - Powell grabbed me, physically,
41:02
Which was unlike him, and drug me into a space At the CIA, at langely, and said,
41:09
"throw all the material in my presentation "about terrorism out, cut it out."
41:16
- About this amount, this is just about... - Within an hour, George Tenet, the director Of central intelligence, made a spectacular
41:24
Bombshell presentation. We have just learned from a high level Al-Qaeda operative, under interrogation,
41:31
About significant contacts between Baghdad's Mukhabarat, and Al-Qaeda.
41:39
This was devastating. Here's a director of Central Intelligence
41:44
Telling the Secretary of State That he has interrogated evidence.
41:50
Well the secretary turned to me and said, "put it back in." - Al-Qaeda continues to have a deep interest
41:56
In acquiring weapons of mass destruction. As with the story of Zarqawi and his network,
42:02
I can trace the story of a senior terrorist operative Telling how Iraq provided training
42:08
In these weapons to Al-Qaeda. - Later I learn that was Sheikh Al Libi. That it hadn't just instantly happened.
42:16
It had happened months before. That he'd been water-boarded in Egypt, when he did this.
42:21
No U.S. Personnel were present. And he had recanted within a couple of weeks,
42:27
And we never were told about that. - Every statement I make today is backed Up by sources, solid sources.
42:33
These are not assertions. What we're giving you are facts and conclusions Based on solid intelligence.
42:41
- We were, indisputably, we were lied to. - At this hour, American and Coalition
42:48
Forces are in the early stages of military operations, To disarm Iraq, to free it's people,
42:54
And to defend the world from grave danger. - As Karl Rove famously said to this reporter,
43:00
"now you guys are reality based communities. "we make reality. "by the time you figured out, you know,
43:06
"what's wrong with our reality, "we've moved on to the creation of another reality." - Did you sell or cause to come into the possession
43:13
Of Saddam Hussein weapons of mass destruction? - Did the United States sell to him, absolutely not.
43:23
- Iran-Iraq was on such a scale, and I was On the Iranian side, and I went down to the battle point.
43:28
I was actually given a gas kit. And so they let me take the train back, Right all the way up to Tehran.
43:34
And the carriages were crammed with Iranian Soldiers who'd been gassed. Some were just coughing, retching it.
43:41
And one man was reading the Quran, And he would sort of put a handkerchief And wipe the blood off his lips.
43:48
Gradually the corridors became permeated With a sort of very sick smell. And I realized it was the smell of
43:54
The gas that they were coughing up from their lungs, And I was going along the corridors, Opening all the windows in the night air,
43:59
Trying to clean the train out of this smell Of, obviously, chemical warfare.
44:07
After 2003 I was being attacked on radio shows, Especially from America. Well you're complaining about the American invasion,
44:13
And I said, excuse me I was on the train Of Iranians gassed by the Iraqis.
44:20
And the chemical components came from the United States. At the very time that your Rumsfeld was meeting Saddam.
44:27
- You were meeting with Saddam Hussein. I think we have some video of that. Of that meeting.
44:33
Tell me what was going on during this meeting. - Where did you get this video, from the Iraqi television...
44:39
- When did they give it to you, recently, or back then? - We've dug this out of the CNN library.
44:44
- I see. Isn't that interesting. There I am.
45:07
- Our war on terror, Begins with Al-Qaeda.
45:13
But it does not end there. - This very phrase, war on terror,
45:19
Is irrational. It's like saying, a war on war.
45:25
A war on violence, a war that... It's nonsense. You're stepping into this possibility of, kind
45:31
Of, perpetual war. - Good morning darling, how are you?
45:38
- They lack at reassuring us, And we kept believing him, because You don't want to think your prime minister
45:44
Is deceiving you in the route to a war, There's nothing more serious.
45:49
♪ we can change the world - When the serious fraud office launched
45:55
It's investigation into all the crimes That we were uncovering, it turned out
46:00
That many of these arms deals had Been forced through by Tony Blair, personally.
46:05
- He's a dedicated arms salesman. Whatever that was at his feet, ever, in government, He always backed the arms sale.
46:12
- The serious fraud office got to the brink Of uncovering the secret swiss bank accounts,
46:18
By which BAE was funneling money to the Saudi royal family. The swiss said we're gonna notify
46:24
The bank account holders. Bandar flew to london and Blair swung into action.
46:34
He ordered the serious fraud office To close down their investigation. ♪ we can change the world
46:40
- Prince Bandar said if the investigation continued, They would withdraw national security cooperation.
46:47
Which would lead, in the words of Prince Bandar, "to blood on the streets of london."
46:56
- The story we've been banging away at, For more than five years, suddenly everybody woke up to it, Because everybody could see it was a huge
47:02
Cover-up scandal. The spectacle of a british prime minister Closing down a criminal investigation for
47:09
His own reasons. - Were you aware that your Government was approving payments to a friend Of president Bush's, as part of a
47:16
British aerospace's kick back system? Is that why you suspended a fraud inquiry?
47:23
- When Tony Blair started talking about National security interest, that's supposed to be A card that trumps all others.
47:30
- I don't believe the investigation Incidentally would have led anywhere, Except to the complete wreckage Of a vital, strategic relationship for our country.
47:39
In terms of fighting terrorism, in terms Of the middle east, in terms of british interest there.
47:45
- So this thing's absolutely stunning. It seems to be a very expensive way Of organizing bribe payment.
47:53
Out the military equipment, and just hand out the money.
48:03
♪ we can change the world - Blair came to south Africa, specifically To lobby the BAE, the british weapons manufacturer,
48:11
Who won the biggest contract on our arms deal. ♪ our time has come
48:21
- And the option that they presented Was two and half times more expensive Than the plane that the south African Air Force
48:28
Actually wanted. - BAE systems. Real performance.
48:33
Real advantage.
48:40
- As Mandela was about to step down From public life, his successor, Thabo Mbeki,
48:46
Made the decision to spend around 10 billion dollars,
48:52
What were quite scarce public resources, On this weaponry that we didn't need.
48:58
Rather than provide life saving medication, For the almost 6 million South Africans
49:05
Who were then living with HIV, or AIDS. The primary reason for those deals,
49:11
Was that around 300 million dollars in bribes Were paid to senior politicians,
49:20
And sadly to the African National Congress, The ANC, my own party.
49:28
I was called in by a senior member of the ANC's National executive council. He said to me, "look Andrew, this is a battle
49:36
"you cannot win, because this money, the bribes, "we used to fund our 1999 election."
49:44
And almost immediately I'm asked to make A statement to the press that says There's nothing to investigate.
49:51
So it's all over. And I looked at him and I said, no it's not.
49:58
I won't be able to live with myself, If I stop this investigation.
50:05
But at the same time, I'm also realizing, That this is the end of my political career.
50:15
The heads of government are the sales people in chief Of their country's large arms contractors.
50:22
And this is the template used by large Defense contractors around the world.
50:34
- Companies like BAE are not only, sort of, Effectively part of the government, But they're effectively above the law.
50:41
- Corruption is not merely a dirty little detail On top of the arms trade, it's actually,
50:46
In a lot of cases, what drives the international arms trade. Many of these deals would not happen if they did not
50:53
Provide opportunities for personal enrichment. - I would be offended if I thought
51:02
We had the monopoly on corruption.
51:20
- As I was being dragged out I thought, Right at the last second I'm gonna still say, Remind everyone that this guy is a war criminal.
51:26
- Can I just say, actually, on the record, What he said about Iraq and JP Morgan Is completely and totally untrue.
51:33
I have never had a discussion with them. - Now I'm not suggesting that there was a phone Call between JP Morgan and Blair, It was actually what happened was,
51:39
JP Morgan and a consortium of other banks Did, in fact, prop up the whole Iraq economy
51:44
To the tune of about 2.5 billion, not 20 billion, I was a bit nervous that day.
51:50
Then six months after he left office, Blair suddenly signed by JP Morgan, For five million dollars every year.
51:56
I was just trying to enlighten the public That there was corruption involved, And not just bad decision making.
52:02
- I'd like to find out how this gentlemen Managed to access the court.
52:10
- There must be a back door in, Because they'd all gone out for tea at the time. And there was a courtroom, directly Underneath the courtroom that Blair was in,
52:16
And it was left unlocked. So I went through that one, up two floors Via the fire escape, and then to the door
52:22
By this time my heart was pounding, like... You know, I was really going mad.
52:28
And I actually lost my courage for the moment. So I went and sat down in a bathroom, I found a gentleman's toilet there,
52:34
I did actually ring my mother, And I said, listen, I'm here, what shall I do? Do you think I should still go in? And my mum said, "yeah, go on, you
52:40
"won't get another chance." And I thought, that's it, I'm in. The man is a war criminal!
52:52
- Augustine said, "that hope has "two beautiful daughters, anger and courage.
52:59
"anger at the way things are, and courage "to see that they don't remain the way they are."
53:11
You conserve two sets of principles, Privilege and power, or justice and truth. The more you make compromises with those
53:17
Who serve privilege and power, The more you diminish the capacity for justice and truth.
53:24
And, I think that The rebel seeks to keep those who have power, fearful.
54:32
- Peace, that's what we want. Freedom and peace.
56:01
- So what if the guy threw a shoe at me?
56:39
- I'm gonna read you the Sourcing, of the la times report, Paragraph one, U.S. Authorities say,
56:44
Column one, still U.S. Officials said. Said one U.S. Justice department counter-terrorism
56:50
Official, column two, officials said, U.S. Authorities say, U.S. Officials said,
56:55
Those officials said, the officials confirmed. American officials complained, they said,
57:01
U.S. Officials stressed, column three. U.S. Authorities said, jordanian officials said...
57:10
We got a slight... No laughter please, we haven't finished yet. Several U.S. Officials said.
57:15
Column four, U.S. Officials said. Several American officials said. Officials say, say U.S. Officials.
57:22
But U.S. Officials said, one U.S. Counter-terrorism Official said, I'm not joking. There it is.
57:27
That is the journalism you're getting fed. And I sometimes think the la times And the new york times, should be called
57:32
American officials say. - I denounced the call to invade Iraq publicly.
57:40
The new york times issued me a formal written reprimand, Which is what you get before you're fired,
57:47
Under union rules, to stop speaking out against the war. I'd been the middle east bureau chief.
57:52
I'd been in Iraq, spent seven years in the middle east.
58:01
How can you come out of Gaza and not be angry? What's being done to those people.
58:07
How can you come out of the Sudan, El Salvador, you know, dozens of other places
58:13
I've been, and not be angry? I've seen the bodies of a lot of children.
58:22
Which I can't forget.
58:31
20 years, it, you know, fucks you up.
58:49
Dostoevsky said, "hell is the inability to love, "and that's what kills people."
58:55
I fully get why people blow their brains out. It's really hell.
59:01
And, I don't use love as a kind of hallmark, Schmaltzy, you know, we all gotta love each other.
59:08
I'm saying that the only way you're healed From those experiences is by re-establishing
59:14
A connection with that kind of power. With another human being.
59:19
And if you can't do that, you don't survive. And I have friends who couldn't do it,
59:25
And they're not here anymore.
59:34
It's the, you know, the power of love To transcend time.
1:00:55
- That looks like a Gaub 2-Alpha 38 That we used to have on our loches.
1:01:03
A mini-gun that fired 4,000 rounds per minute. One of the manifestations of the national security state,
1:01:09
Especially in the, sort of, apogee it's arrived at today,
1:01:15
Is that it destroys diplomacy. It destroys the will to diplomacy, and it destroys
1:01:20
The skill for diplomacy.
1:01:36
- If you're a small state, like we were for 150 years, in essence, vis-a-vis Spain, France,
1:01:41
England, and even Russia, you've got to be Exquisitely good at diplomacy.
1:01:47
You've got to be able to talk yourself Out of lots of things, and make deals And compromises and so forth.
1:01:53
But if you're the world's hedge men You don't deal with anybody, you smack 'em. You use your military and you smack 'em.
1:02:01
- On may 3rd of 2003, the ambassador of Switzerland To Tehran, delivers a letter from Iran to the United States.
1:02:12
In that letter, the Iranians essentially Offer negotiations to open up the nuclear
1:02:18
Program for full transparency. The proposal came in.
1:02:23
I happened to see it, because a copy Was also given to a member of congress That I worked for at the time.
1:02:30
He sent it over to the White House and Karl Rove. Karl Rove called back.
1:02:36
He said that he found the proposal intriguing. He wanted to know if it was genuine. And he promised to put it in front of the president.
1:02:43
- I would call Karl Rove a dear friend. - I've seen a man of farsighted courage.
1:02:50
Put America on a war footing. And protect us against a brutal enemy,
1:02:56
In a dangerous conflict that will shape this new century. - No form of response was given to the Iranians at all.
1:03:03
- I'm grateful to have been a witness to history. - And the argument was, that whatever could
1:03:10
Come out of a negotiation with the Iranians, Even more could be achieved by simply
1:03:16
Removing the regime in Iran. In a way to sum up the argument, however,
1:03:21
The principle in the bush administration said That we simply do not talk to evil.
1:03:30
- And as Tony Zini said, former central command commander, "if you like to rock, you'll love Iran."
1:03:36
That is a 10 to 14 year, Three to four trillion dollar
1:03:41
Invasion, at the end of which the world, Western Asia, will look not much different
1:03:48
Than it does right now. It'll still be in turmoil, still be in chaos, And 70 plus million Iranians will hate our living guts.
1:03:59
Went in to see the under-secretary of defense, The ideas that wolfowitz shared with me,
1:04:05
He and secretary Cheney in 91, 92, packaged them, Re-tooled them, thought about them,
1:04:11
Went to the White House. Briefed people like presidents. America needs a new strategy, or forceable regime change.
1:04:18
So here this idea springs back up again in 2001.
1:04:23
I went through the Pentagon, in November of 2001, And one of the generals said, "sir I got this memo "on my desk, it's...
1:04:30
"we're gonna go after seven countries in five years."
1:04:37
I said is that a classified memo? He said, "yes sir! "we're gonna start with Iraq, and then we're
1:04:43
"gonna move to Syria, Lebanon, Libya, "Somalia, Sudan, and Iran."
1:04:57
- I think it's highly probable the administration Has already made the decision to go to war against Iran.
1:05:02
There are already U.S. troops inside Iran. I wanna repeat that.
1:05:08
There are already U.S. troops inside Iran. - The U.S. has long had it's eyes set
1:05:13
On trying to impact regime change in Iran. And much of what you've seen the U.S. doing, With regards to Iran, has been on a covert level.
1:05:21
- We've seen a report in the New Yorker, By Seymour Hersh, that a U.S. source told him
1:05:27
That U.S. Marines were operating in the Balochi, Mazareh, and Kurdish regions of Iran.
1:05:33
Have you ever heard of that report? - I've never heard of the report, I've never read the Article, nor do I intend to.
1:05:40
- Do you have any interest as to whether or not, As the U.S. Ambassador? - I don't...
1:05:46
U.S. Marines are actually operating in Iran right now?
1:05:51
- I said I had not heard of the report, And I didn't intend to read the article in the New Yorker.
1:05:57
- If I gave you this article right now, Walked it over, would you look at it? - I don't think so honestly, congressman,
1:06:02
'cause I don't have the time to read much fiction.
1:06:09
- We have teams inside Iran and these include Joint special operation force, of our most
1:06:14
Elite commando unit. It has been given executive authority by the president In as many as 12 countries, to go in
1:06:21
And kill, we're talking about high value targets. They're operating now, and they go into
1:06:26
Countries outside of the war zone, outside Of Afghanistan and outside of Iraq, Without telling the American CIA station chief,
1:06:33
Or the American ambassador, they go in Sterile and they kill people.
1:06:39
- We have to worry about the sort of dark side If you will, when I spend time in the shadows, In the intelligence world.
1:06:46
Will have to be done quietly, without any discussion, Using sources and methods that are
1:06:53
Available to our intelligence agencies.
1:07:12
- The doctrine that has endured from Bush to Obama Is that the world is a battlefield.
1:07:17
And that the united states has the right To go into any country around the world To conduct, what they call, kinetic operations,
1:07:23
Lethal operations, regardless of What international law says.
1:07:29
What is president Obama's response to that? How is he going to deal with it? He embraced the very covert shadow forces
1:07:36
That a decade earlier had only been Talked about in hushed tones in the Pentagon. Not just as the implementors of a policy that said
1:07:44
We should decapitate terror networks, And engage in preemptive strikes, but they Became the policy itself.
1:07:56
President Obama's administration have built Up something called the disposition matrix. It's like an algorithm for determining
1:08:01
Who should be killed, or who should We seek to capture. And one of the more, sort of, grotesque aspects Of this, is that there were actually meetings
1:08:07
On tuesdays, in the White House, That have been nicknamed terror Tuesday meetings. Where they're going through rosters of names
1:08:13
To put on, or take off the list. Maybe someone within that group has been In contact with someone that the U.S. is watching.
1:08:19
They went to the same mosque as someone. They keep ordering pizza from the same place As a taliban leader.
1:08:25
And you decide, these guys are probably up To no good, and so, on this particular day, We're gonna remove them from planet earth.
1:08:32
- So now we're getting into minority report. Into this sort of sci-fi world of PK Dick. Where it's justifiable homicide.
1:08:40
Even though it's for an act that might Take place in the future. It's okay to kill from a distance,
1:08:46
Without a warrant, without a trial, without a jury. And the execution takes place off screen.
1:09:09
- Where appropriate, we will bring terrorists to justice.
1:09:15
- When... - When we... - We went...
1:09:22
- He went on to... - We went on...
1:09:37
- We're addressing that ma'am.
1:09:43
- The voice of that woman is worth paying attention to. Obviously I do not agree with much of what she said.
1:09:51
- The president is not implementing policies that We need to see change, for example that he
1:09:56
Would stop the authorization of signature strikes. Which means killing people only on the basis Of suspicious behavior, that's led to the
1:10:04
Killing of many innocent people... - You know I post the question on my Facebook page, And asked them what they wanted to ask you.
1:10:11
And a lot of them said that you were Hurting your own cause, because, one, You appeared rude to the president of the United States,
1:10:18
And two, you just seemed a little crazy.
1:10:24
- Well I think killing innocent people With drones is rude. I think not apologizing to the families
1:10:29
Of innocent people who are killed is rude. There are a lot of rude things about our policies.
1:10:35
- I want to make sure the people understand, Actually drones have not caused A huge number of civilian causalities.
1:10:40
For the most part they have been very Precise, precision strikes against Al-Qaeda. - How do you expect the people of Pakistan
1:10:47
Not to have anti-American sentiments When day in, and day out, we hear about drone attacks
1:10:52
That kill more innocent people than militants? How do you explain that?
1:10:58
- Well I do not believe that there is any Basis for your comment.
1:11:49
- Lockheed Martin, boeing, Dyncorp International, Computer sciences corporation, and aerovironment,
1:11:56
All told eric, about 70 companies Are interested in this one billion dollar contract. - As we look out three, five, seven, 10 years,
1:12:04
This Market remains a very much a growth Market.
1:13:02
- It's the disease of permanent war that destroyed The middle east. It's not islamic fundamentalism.
1:13:10
It empower all of those who profit from permanent war. Politically, economically and militarily.
1:13:19
- Make no mistake, a nuclear armed Iran Is not a challenge that can be contained. It would threaten the elimination of Israel.
1:13:26
The security of gulf nations. And the stability of the global economy.
1:13:32
It risks triggering a nuclear arms race In the region, and the unraveling of the Non-proliferation treaty.
1:13:39
- And how close is Iran to getting it? Well let me show you.
1:13:44
I brought a diagram for you. Here's the diagram.
1:13:54
This is a bomb. This is a fuse. Where should a red line be drawn?
1:14:01
A red line should be drawn right here.
1:14:07
- The threat from Iran is a political football. What was interesting was that many Israelis,
1:14:12
Including people from the military said, As long as there is an existential threat,
1:14:19
Somewhere, somehow, that it is certainly helping Us expand our budgets, in ways that
1:14:26
Is not possible to do in the absence On anything that can be defined as such a threat.
1:14:33
- If you were Iran what would you do? I mean, Israel has what, three to 400 nuclear weapons.
1:14:39
They're the ones who started the damn arms race In the middle east anyway. They didn't sign a non-proliferation treaty.
1:14:45
They built this program in secret. India and Pakistan then went on to do the same thing,
1:14:51
And Iran, which did sign the nuclear Non-proliferation treaty, looked around
1:14:56
And realized they'd gotten screwed. - The Obama administration wants to sell bunker Buster bombs which can penetrate
1:15:02
20 feet of solid concrete to the UAE. The deal is the latest U.S. Arms sale To members of the gulf cooperation council,
1:15:09
Six nations that neighbor Iran.
1:15:16
- War has become a commodity for several reasons. One is because you need somebody to Buy the stuff you produce.
1:15:23
- another U.S. Arms deal With Saudi Arabia is in the pipeline. The biggest in history.
1:15:28
This deal alone surpasses the entire global Arms sale already 57 billion dollars.
1:15:36
- Saudi Arabia does this enormous service Of recycling the arms trade.
1:15:41
But war is also a business in another sense. There is a business that uses war to
1:15:46
Get it's ends established. This is George orwell's 1984.
1:15:52
Two powers are always going to be in battle And guess who's making out really well? Of course the weapons dealers, and the people in power.
1:16:04
- Well the ultimate manifestation of the national Security state is that it, not only
1:16:10
Seeks a perpetual state of war, It will even go to all ends to create
1:16:16
That perpetual state of war. - I am always reminded of a book
1:16:22
I read a long time ago, called invisible man. And that book has a beautiful sentence,
1:16:31
"I am an invisible man. "not because I don't exist, but "because you choose not to see me."
1:16:38
- Prince Bandar do you know the Bin Laden family? - This is ironic, in the mid 80's, if you remember
1:16:45
Supporting the mujahideen to liberate Afghanistan
1:16:51
From the soviets. Bin Laden came to thank me for my efforts
1:16:58
To bring the Americans, our friends, To help us against the atheist, he said, the communist.
1:17:04
- When I last saw bin laden, in this camp High in the mountains of Afghanistan,
1:17:11
With an air raid shelter built into the living Rock of the mountain, 25, 30 feet high,
1:17:18
That camp was built by the CIA. Later they tried to fire cruise missiles at it, Of course they knew where it was.
1:17:24
They built it. No wonder Bin Laden kept smiling at me.
1:17:30
No wonder he did. - The American Saudi Arabia put one billion dollars each
1:17:38
To give them arms, training, equipment, We are the ones who cleared all those people to go.
1:17:45
We and you.
1:17:51
- There must be something wrong with the way we think. That we can't say that the grammar Of the past, is operating today.
1:17:59
- We have been pumping money, a great deal of money, Without congressional authority, Without any congressional oversight.
1:18:06
Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia is putting Up some of this money for covert operations In many areas of the Middle East where we want
1:18:12
To stop the shiite influence; they Call it the shiite crescent. - Thank you...
1:18:18
- The arabic word is fitna, civil war. We're in a business right now of creating, In some places, sectarian violence.
1:18:26
- It's an odd situation because We are trying to destroy and liquidate Al-Qaeda and marlie, but trying to give
1:18:31
Arms training to them in northern Syria.
1:18:37
It really is a world gone mad, But oddly enough, you have to be in Syria To realize how mad it is.
1:18:45
When you actually are traveling around Syria, And you listen to the news coming out Of Washington, it's like Americans are
1:18:51
Living in this kind of fantasy world That bears no relation to planet earth, Where I'm trying to report.
1:19:27
- Today there are good terrorists, and bad terrorists. The bad terrorists are those in Yemen,
1:19:32
Who the United States deems to be a threat. The good terrorists are those who are in Syria.
1:19:37
The joke here is we've been there before. I mean, if you consider the Afghanistan story,
1:19:44
They've learned nothing.
1:19:53
Today if I say that the Saudis are giving money To groups that are in Syria, that are not only
1:20:01
Al-Nusra, but also the ISIS. People will say you are a conspiracy theorist,
1:20:06
But what I'm just trying to say is In the moment of the contemporary, This grammar of dangerous politics
1:20:15
Sounds insane.
1:20:27
So what appears to have been a conspiracy at the time, When documents appear, turns out to be true.
1:20:37
- We must address the cycle of conflict, Especially sectarian conflict, that
1:20:42
Creates the conditions that terrorists prey upon. - In public they say, we have to end terrorism.
1:20:49
Meanwhile, this private work of getting involved In conflicts stirs the pot, which produces
1:20:57
Characters that appear to become terrorists. Which reinforces the public narrative,
1:21:04
And then makes things like intervention okay. - Good morning everybody.
1:21:11
Last night on my orders, America's armed forces Began strikes against ISIL targets in Syria.
1:21:26
- just ahead of air strikes in Syria, Defense firms, Lockheed Martin, Northrop, Raytheon,
1:21:31
And General Dynamics Corporation all set Stock price records. Their shareholders are making money off
1:21:37
The unusually large number of conflicts around the world.
1:21:49
- Every two years or so, the Israeli military Attacks the Gaza strip and right after There is a trade show, in which Israeli
1:21:55
Weapon companies show their technologies. Which are becoming an increasingly important
1:22:02
And very significant part of the Israeli Economy depend on those wars. They try to Market, "we've already used
1:22:10
"that on actual human beings." By making that claim they're able to compete With weapon manufacturers from other countries.
1:22:19
The United States is the biggest Supplier of military aid to Israel. This attack on Gaza is also a trade show
1:22:25
For the united states arms industry.
1:22:48
- Iran and ISIS are competing for the Crown of militant Islam. One calls itself the Islamic Republic.
1:22:56
The other calls itself the Islamic State. Both want to impose a militant Islamic Empire.
1:23:02
First in the region. And then on the entire world. They just disagree among themselves
1:23:08
Who will be the ruler of that empire. In this deadly game of thrones, there's
1:23:15
No place for America, or for Israel. - Today, after two years of negotiations,
1:23:21
The United States, together with our international partners, Has achieved something that decades Of animosity has not.
1:23:29
A comprehensive long-term deal with Iran, That will prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
1:23:36
- This was a very difficult negotiations, And part of it is because of this Entrenched and compounded mistrust
1:23:43
That we have built between ourselves mutually For the last three, four decades. But I'm happy that, we simply write,
1:23:51
Diplomacy pre-write, that people exercised A great deal of restraint and patience,
1:23:57
And wisdom, and we are where we are, And I hope this will be a good beginning.
1:24:05
- As this nuclear deal goes through We're still dealing with the problem That the states of this region are collapsing.
1:24:12
And the void that they will fill, You will see more violence and you will see more weapons.
1:24:18
It is important to understand That that's not a result of this deal. That is a result of the paradigm not shifting
1:24:25
Towards de-militarization, and collective Security, soon enough.
1:24:31
- The Saudis and the Israelis are on the same page. They worry about Iran... - And that's not new, they've been worried for a long...
1:24:37
- But can they do anything about it? - Well they can get their own weapons.
1:24:42
- This is a region that has more arms Per capita than any other region in the world.
1:24:47
Much thanks to the defense industry, Israel and some of the arab states are Going to be able to buy more weapons,
1:24:53
And more advanced weapons. If the nuclear threat from Iran is decreasing,
1:24:59
Why should these other countries Get a chance to actually arm themselves more?
1:25:05
- Pakistan is a friend of Saudi Arabia. Pakistan has nuclear weapons. Are you in discussions with Pakistan about,
1:25:11
Perhaps, getting a nuclear bomb from Pakistan? - But wolf we've known each other for 25 years,
1:25:17
You don't really expect me to answer this question.
1:25:25
- We're not going to have a truly De-militarization in the region, unless
1:25:30
Israel's nuclear arsenal also is addressed. The significant of this peace deal
1:25:36
Is that it is a game changer in the region. And it's gonna be a question about the Political willingness of leaders
1:25:43
To whether they will pursue these opportunities, Or whether they will fall into the patterns of the past.
1:26:11
- Once you start a war,
1:26:16
You open a kind of Pandora's box. You don't control it, it controls you.
1:26:23
The use of that kind of violence has Unforeseen consequences, that no one can predict.
1:26:30
And it propels you in directions You never thought you'd go.
1:26:35
That's what war does.
1:26:42
So, the images of war are very carefully controlled And countered by the lives that have
1:26:50
Been disseminated through every institution In society, schools, government,
1:26:58
Entertainment, the press. When you shatter the myth,
1:27:05
And when you understand, especially What techno-war, industrial war is about, Which is really about murder, about slaughter,
1:27:12
People would be so repulsed. It would be very hard to wage war.
1:32:04
♪ I see no one ♪ as happy as I am
1:32:09
♪ I feel like a
1:32:21
♪ darling let's dance together till morning ♪





No comments: